Sunday, August 06, 2006

Transfusion Medicine

1 month down, 35 more months of my fellowship to go...

This month I am doing transfusion medicine. Starting a few days late, as I had been covering the BMT service for a colleague who was ill. Looks like a easy month. Spent the 1st day learning how to do cross-matches and blood typing. Most of the month will be spent in lectures and the lab, and hopefully lots of free time to study for the Internal Medicine boards.

Sigh... another exam... like most of the normal, sane people out there, I hate exams... unfortunately, I think if not for exams I don't think I will study...

Anyways, going back to Transfusion Medicine (TM)... it is interesting to note that TM here in the US is often in the domain of pathology and laboratory medicine, rather than Hematology. Even Hematology here is really 'Clinical Hematology' as hemepath is also within the domain of pathology and laboratory medicine (as compared to the UK system). I don't think we do more than a few months is heme path, cytology etc.

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our haematologists will look at blood films and aspirates/trephines, but pathologists and cytologists are still heavily involved in the diagnostic process.

Same here, I hate exam but only study hard when I have an exam to sit. All the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home